Monday, August 20, 2007

Codeine can be toxic to breastfed babies: FDA

From CTV News:
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration is warning that nursing infants may be at risk of morphine overdose if their mothers take codeine and have a genetic mutation that makes them ultra-rapid metabolizers of the painkiller.

The agency issued the warning Friday after reviewing information on the subject, including a medical journal report about the death of a 13-day old breastfed infant who died from morphine overdose.

The morphine levels in the mother's milk were found to be abnormally high after taking small doses of codeine prescribed to treat pain for an episiotomy (a procedure to enlarge the vaginal opening before childbirth.). ...more

No comments: