Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Overdose victim’s dad calls for public inquiry

From the Halifax (NS) Chronicle Herald:
Two Glace Bay pharmacists will lose their licences for a week after an investigation found they dispensed methadone improperly.

One man died of an overdose of the drug.

And at least three other patients became ill after taking prescribed methadone prepared at Ferguson’s Pharmacy Ltd. in 2005.

The Nova Scotia College of Pharmacists launched a probe of David and Donald Ferguson after Ron Whalen filed a complaint.

Mr. Whalen’s son, Robert Whalen, 23, died in 2005 of a methadone overdose.

"I’m not very happy at all," Mr. Whalen of Glace Bay said Tuesday.

"The two of them lose their licence for a week and they don’t even have to close down the pharmacy. One guy can go to Florida and the other guy can run the pharmacy for a week and then vice versa." ...more

No comments: